It won’t be long before Bay Area homeowners will be using their air conditioners. We receive countless calls from homeowners who wonder whether there may be something wrong with their cooling systems; in many cases, it is simply a lack of freon. While this is a common issue, there could also be a more serious problem.
Common questions we get include:
Why is my air conditioner not blowing cold air?
Why is my cooling system not making my home as comfortable as it used to?
If the A/C in your home isn’t cooling as good as it once did, it could be that it needs to be charged, however the problem could also be attributed to other issues. It’s important to check various components before assuming your air conditioner needs freon. Also, be sure to have a trusted HVAC technician perform maintenance prior to having your system charged, in case there are other problems that need to be addressed.
How do you know if a lack of sufficient freon is the problem?
- Condensation causes water to accumulate on the floor near your furnace
- It takes what seems like forever for your home to cool down
- You notice the evaporator coils have a build up of ice
- Your A/C unit runs much longer than normal to cool your home
- Even when your thermostat is set to the “cool” function and the system is running, air ducts blow warm or hot air
Why is a maintenance call necessary prior to having your air conditioner recharged with freon?
If you suspect your system needs freon but you aren’t sure that’s the problem, overcharging can cause problems. These may include:
- Complete breakdown of your cooling system
- Destruction/damage to the compressor
- Unexpected frosting or condensation
- Suction side pressure operating too high if the coils become warm
Typically, freon doesn’t simply run out, as it is not a substance that is consumed such as the oil in your vehicle – the need to recharge is rare. If you do find this is the problem, it’s likely there is a leak. At this point it is necessary to have an experienced San Francisco HVAC professional, who can detect the leak, come out and take care of the problem.
If your air conditioner isn’t cooling properly, don’t assume it needs a freon recharge. There are many issues that can result in inadequate cooling, problems that only your heating and cooling contractor can pinpoint. At Ortiz Heating & Air Conditioning, we want to help you save money and avoid unnecessary repairs. Give us a call today!