Many Hayward and San Mateo homeowners think of a furnace blower as a component that’s only used in winter months. The fact is, your furnace blower works in summer months as well, delivering cooled air into the rooms of your home. Regularly scheduled maintenance is vital to ensure yours is working properly, and will keep your home comfortable this summer, even helping you save on energy.
Our Bay Area heating and cooling professionals recommend you have your HVAC system checked during spring and fall seasons. A trained HVAC technician will thoroughly check and inspect your entire system, however when it comes to the furnace blower there are a few services your technician should perform, including the following:
- Test the current and voltage going to the blower motor to ensure it is within safe limits. This helps prevent a possible fire, or overheating of the motor, which could cause it to burn out.
- Oil the blower motor and thoroughly clean the assembly. When the blower isn’t properly lubricated, it can result in equipment failure and higher energy use, because of the friction. Cleaning and lubricating protects the blower assembly from damage.
- Inspection of blower belt for symptoms of wear, cracks, or other damage. Your technician will replace the belt if damaged.
Sometimes minor problems can crop up in between scheduled maintenance visits, some of which you can take care of yourself. If you suspect there is a blower issue, try the following before giving your HVAC contractor a call:
- Change the air filter. A dirty, clogged filter could cause your system to shut down in order to avoid overheating.
- Make sure you switch the thermostat to the “cool” or A/C mode when temperatures warm up. Set the temperature lower than the current temperature to see if it comes on. If not, you may want to replace the battery to see if that solves the problem.
- Check to see if a breaker may have tripped. Be sure to check both the main electrical panel, and inside the blower compartment.
At Ortiz Heating & Air Conditioning, home comfort is our specialty. Have other questions or concerns regarding your furnace blower? Give us a call today! We are your local San Francisco furnace maintenance experts, having proudly served homeowners in the Bay Area for nearly 15 years.