Homeowners (and business owners) want to enjoy comfortable surroundings, but energy savings as well. It’s important that you keep your heating/air conditioning equipment well maintained and take steps to prevent problems, but there are also a few terms you should be familiar with. At Ortiz Heating & Air Conditioning, we believe that information and knowledge will help you better communicate with your HVAC technician – and in turn, help you understand any recommendations your contractor makes.
Here are a few terms that it pays to know:
- HVAC – Although many people are familiar with this term, most do not know what it stands for. HVAC is a “shorthand” term used in the industry for heating, ventilating and air conditioning.
- NATE – Does your heating and a/c contractor use NATE certified technicians? Those who complete this rigorous testing program are certified and highly knowledgeable. This term stands for North American Technician Excellence.
- Air handler – Essentially, an air handler houses a set of “cold” coils that cools the air in your home and absorbs heat; this indoor component is normally found in residential split systems.
- Checking the charge – When your technician tests the level of refrigerant in your air conditioning system, you may hear him or her say “checking the charge”. This is simply lingo a technician uses when testing this amount to ensure that the level meets optimum performance levels specified by the manufacturer.
- SEER – The SEER, or seasonal energy efficiency ratio, is a rating used to inform consumers of how well an A/C system performs overall in regards to energy used to cool their homes.
- Cooling load calculation – When you are in need of a new air conditioning system, your technician may calculate your home’s heat gain so that he can determine the size a/c system that will best suit your needs. This process is known as “cooling load calculation”.
Hopefully these terms will help you communicate with your Contra Costa HVAC contractor, and help you understand some of the lingo often used by technicians.
At Ortiz Heating & Air Conditioning we have proudly serviced homeowners and businesses for more than a dozen years, providing excellence in everything we do. Count on us for all of your HVAC repair, maintenance and installation needs.